Chandradhari Mithila Mahavidyalaya, Darbhanga (Bihar), the pride of Mithila, one of the ancient seats of learning not only in Bihar but in the entire country, the premier Institution of L. N. Mithila University was established in 1938. In fact, it was founded under the auspices of a Citizen’s Committee consisting of distinguished dignitaries of Darbhanga who felt the need of imparting Higher Education along the western model while retaining oriental flavour in the far flung and remote areas of North Bihar. Originally named Mithila College, it started functioning in a private building at Laheriasarai and was later shifted to Oval market, Darbhanga near the Tower which houses the C.M. Science College, Darbhanga at present. The mission of turning a dream into reality could be fulfilled due to the tireless and unforgettable efforts of Pandit Gangadhar Mishra, a senior advocate and resident of Saurath (Madhubani) and it is in defence to his pioneering endeavuor and dedication that the college campus is known as Gangadhar Niketan
The college got its presents name C.M. College because of the munificence of late Chandradhari Babu of RantiDeorhi (Madhubani). Surviving the constraints of space and financial handicap the college got a real lease of life because of the concerted efforts of Late Dr. S.K Sinha, the first CM of Bihar and two distinguished citizens of Darbhanga, Late KunwarKalyanLal and then Vice chairman of Darbhanga Municipality and the Government, the college could function and expand without legal in encumbrance. Very soon, in the early fifties began to impart Degree Education In four Faculties- Arts, Science, Commerce, and law.
In 1952 the college was separated from the old Patna University and got affiliated to the newly formed Bihar University. The first permanent Principal of the college Dr. B. M. K Sinha, a professor of English, become the first Registrar of Bihar University, Muzaffarpur.
The college reached new heights under the new Principal Dr. L.K. Mishra who had already worked in the college in early forties as a lecturer in Chemistry. During his stewardship, the college turned into a major Centre of academic excellence and in 1962 Post Graduate teaching was started in selected subjects of Arts and Commerce faculties. Incidentally, the college was converted into a constituent unit of Bihar University, Muzaffarpur with retrospective effect which was ratified on 30th March 1962 under the Bihar University Act 1952 Art 4(13). Pt. Radha Nandan Jha, the then secretary of the college signed the historic document. In April 1955 the then C.M. of Bihar Pt. Binodanand Jha Laid the foundation stone of a huge buildings on the piece of land known as Paliram Garden where the present campus of the college is located.
The onward march of the college to progress continued and on 5 August 1972, the college became the nucleus of Post-Graduate teaching in Arts, Science and Commerce subjects as the long-cherished demand of the people of Mithila turned into reality with the creation of Mithila University at Darbhanga. Finally in 1974, the composite C.M College was split up into two colleges, C.M. College (Arts + Commerce) and C.M. Science College.
The entire campus of C.M. Colleges divided by the river Bagmati into two parts. The Eastern Part houses the main building of the college along with the Departments, the boys and girls common rooms, N.C.C. and N.S.S., The library, the BCA Centre, The IGNOU office, the Principal’s Chamber, the Administrative Block, the PNB branch, the post-office and the swimming pool. The college Hostel, Principal’s residence , Teachers’ Quarters, a Women's hostels (under construction with the U.G.C Grant.) and sports ground are situated on the western Part. Both parts are linked by a bridge in the North side. The college imparts education from intermediate to post-graduation in most of the subject of Arts and Commerce. Every department has its own staff room. A prized possession of the college is the Auditorium cum Examination Hall with the capacity to accommodate 2500 persons which is named in the loving memory of the two alumni of this college, late karpoori Thakur and Lalit Narayan Mishra as karpoori-Lalit Bhawan (K.L Bhawan). The library of the college has a vast treasure of over 1 lakh books with a home with a spacious and well-furnished reading room.
The college is now entering seventy third year since its inception. It has been accredited with B++ by NAAC. It is running a U.G.C Sponsored Remedial Coaching Programme for ST/SC and economically poor students. The IGNOU Centre of the college with a current strength of 1500 students has been functioning full-fledged since 1997. B.C.A Hons. Course has been introduced with new regulations from the academic session 2015-16. The college also imparts vocational education (sponsored by the UGC) in Creative Writing and Translation, Library and Information Science, Journalism, E-commerce, Foreign Trade and Hospitality and Catering. An Ambedkar Study Centre is a recent addition to the College. Of Late, the college has become a member of INFLIBNET.
The College has been deeply involved in and committed to the all-round development of the students. Its students have been excelling in academic fields and administrative services and have done the college proud. The college, besides motivating students to join the NCC/NSS, makes every possible effort to encourage sports activities and achieve excellence. Our sports men and women have won laurels at University and Inter University Meets. Adequate sports facilities are also provided to all aspiring students who have not sought admission through sports quota. The college has excellent infrastructure for various games like Lawn Tennis, Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Cricket, Judo, Kabaddi, Athletics and Table-Tennis. Preference in admission is given to the candidates belonging to above listed games. The college Sports Committee looks after all activities concerning sports. The college is progressing by leaps and bounds under the dynamic leadership of the present principal Dr. Birendra Kumar Chaudhary.